Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sun-dried tomatoes in the oven



In trying this recipe I have found the oven does work, but a food dehydrator works better if you have one available. Either way they are delicious!

This is perfect to use up those tomatoes in your garden, and you can even cut them more after they are roasted and freeze them to make them last longer. (I'm only baking a few for a recipe I need them in so I'm using my toaster oven instead of heating up my house with our big oven.) If done right, they are amazing, and I really can't stop eating them. Thanks to my grandma for this easy recipe!

OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES

6 medium tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
Olive oil
Salt, pepper and sugar (to taste)

Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil; generously rub with oil.

Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar.

Roast until the tomatoes shrivel, the edges start to turn brown and most of the liquid around the tomatoes has caramelized, about 1 hour.

Roasted tomatoes will keep 4 or 5 days in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! I'm totally going to give these a go - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was just asking me about how to make sun (or oven) dried tomatoes yesterday and I just picked 7-8 perfect tomatoes for drying from my garden yesterday! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete