Monday, July 27, 2009

Home Date night idea!

O.k. I'm a little late with this one, and it is something you probably have done before- but have a game night with that special someone. Sometimes we just can't seem to decide which game to play- so we'll put all the games we have even a slight interest in and write it on a slip of paper and put it in a hat. (Make it an exciting hat, like a sombrero or a pioneer hat or something.) Then we'll choose out which game to play. Sometimes we'll shorten the games so we can get to two or three for the night, or we'll just play one game a few times, or one really long game like monopoly.



Since that isn't an out of the ordinary tip- I'll let you know of an AMAZINGLY fun game we played for the first time during our date last week- and that you probably haven't heard of. I love the game Ticket to Ride, but my husband does not. So I am sad because I only get to play this on very rare occasions. However this new game Thurn and Taxis is similar to Ticket to Ride, but my husband will actually play it! (I'm thinking I need to invest in this!) You have post offices you're trying to build, and you're trying to connect routes, but you aren't locked into a certain route like in Ticket to Ride, and you're aware of who is close to ending the game, which is something my husband likes. I love strategy games, and this one has so many different strategies you always feel like you have so many options. (Maybe TOO many options sometimes :) )



Another GREAT game we have played is called Bohnanza- it's a bean planting card game. Don't mock it before you try it. I got it for my birthday this year from my amazing sister, and after showing it to several of our friends they decided to make the investment in it- it's an addicting one though so be careful.



And another fun one is Metro. In this game you are building railroad tracks and you want to get the most points by creating the longest and most intricate railroad tracks.

I have to say Germans make the best games. Metro is a french game, but most of our favorites- Bohnanza, Settlers of Catan and Carcasone are all German. And I think many of the fun board games out there if they aren't German they were knocked off a German game. Way to go Germans for creating so many awesome board games! Check out Killer Bunnies too if you haven't heard of it. Have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Brooke you should post about BoardGameRevolution.com....their website is good, but they also rent games for super cheap (like $1 or something) so that could be a cheap date night and way to try out a new game. Plus I think they'll put the rental price towards the purchase of the game if you decide to buy it. That only really works for people living in Utah, but still.

    ReplyDelete