Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Buy Low quick discussion

buylow.jpg







Just for a heads up on those of you new to joining my blog and haven't a clue as to where or what the Buy Low Market is. It is grocery store in Provo UT that just opened a few months ago. It originated from California, and has INCREDIBLE produce prices. They also have extra special produce deals on Wednesday, and special meat deals on Friday.

It's located at 2250 North University Parkway- where the new Reams used to be. There's a Shopko by it and Albertsons is just across the street. I seriously LOVE it, and don't know how we would get healthy fresh produce without it on our budget.

As for the Caribbean Haystacks with the cilantro- we had these at a neighbors house on Sunday and they were to die for! I think Hawaiian Haystacks are good enough, but these went on my fantastic dinners radar. Now if we could just get coconut milk on a good sale! (The cheapest I have found them are at the Chinese store by my house, but even then they were .85 a can- yikes!)

Anyway- I don't remember EXACTLY the recipe, but it was pretty simple and I'm sure you could add or delete any of the items and it would still be delicious.

Cook rice, and chicken, and put that and kidney beans in layers in a baking dish, and heat all together.

In a separate bowl mix chopped cilantro, chopped tomatoes and any kinds of chopped peppers you want, and mix with some oil. (kind of like a homemade salsa)

Heat Coconut milk mixed with (and this is where my recollection gets a little hazy) pineapple juice I think. (I'll double check this and update it once I find out- the neighbors aren't home right now to check.) Just heat through, don't boil it.

Then as typical Hawaiian haystack fashion put it all together on your plate, and pour the coconut milk mixture on top. They also added the crunchy chinese noodles that were delicious! And you have heaven on earth!

3 comments:

  1. So do you put pineapple on it, too? Or just use the juice? Thanks for the recipe, it sounds delicious... and may just be what we make tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They didn't add the pineapple on it, just the juice, but pineapple would probably taste good on it too. And they added the crunchy chinese noodles to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Buy Low! I try to go on Saturdays, usually once every two weeks, since I don't live close and we generally shop every two weeks. And, thanks for the recipe! I love new ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete