Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Albertsons shopping trip 2/18

Hooray for fruit snacks cake mixes and biscuits! (Remember go here for the sale details)

  • I got 14 boxes of gushers/fruit snacks/fruit roll-ups (Don't worry they will last us maybe 2 weeks)
  • 9 Pillsbury grand biscuits (they freeze)
  • 10 cake mixes
  • 1 pillsbury orange danish roll pack
  • 1 frosting
  • 4 Betty Crocker warm delights individual packs
Total retail? $107
I paid? $7.11

Well...

technically they paid me $2.89- because I also got a $10 OYNSO (On Your Next Shopping Order) catalina (remember the printable coupons that spit out of the machine when you buy stuff) that I can use on anything next time I go in to Albertsons.

4 transactions of 10 items each. I love coupon shopping.

The best part is on one of the transactions I paid 2 pennies for my 10 items and the cashier had to approve it because there were only self checkout stands open- and she wasn't paying attention until she looked at the screen needing approval then loudly said "holy cow- you paid 2 cents for all those groceries?" Then the person behind me in line said "And people wonder why we coupon shop" :)

Another quick tutorial for those just starting. Albertson's sale is if you buy 10 participating items a catalina will print out for $10 off your next shopping order (OYNSO)- so technically it's $1 off per item

Here are some things you could get
  • Betty Crocker (BC) cake mixes- on sale $1.25- it's like you pay 25 cents each
  • Pillsbury Grands Biscuits- on sale $1.25- it's like you pay 25 cents each (unless you have a coupon for 50 cents off 2 printable here and here then it's like you get it for FREE!)
  • BC fruit snacks/gushers/ etc- on sale $2 a box- it's like you pay $1 each (Unless you have a 75 cents of 2 coupon printable here, here, and here.) Then if you buy 5 in one transaction you get an additional $3.50 catalina OYNSO that prints off- so it's like you pay 5 cents a box
  • BC frosting- on sale $1.67- it's like you pay 67 cents each- unless you have a 50 cents off coupon- then it's like you pay 17 cents each.
Those are all the deals that I wanted this time but let me know how your experience goes, and any other great deals! If you're new to this, I can walk you through it- and I would suggest starting small. Maybe 2 transactions of 10 items each- so you can learn how to roll your $10 over once- but it won't be too overwhelming. Try to not do more than 3 or 4 transactions in one line though. If you have more than this- just do 4 transactions then take your stuff to the back of the line to let people go ahead of you. It's just rude to do more than that at one time. (They even took that away from the Spanish Fork Albertsons' shoppers. Now they can't do more than 1 transaction in a line- because people were doing like 20 transactions at once.) DON'T RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US!!!!!!

Just a little heads up too. Usually you can print each coupon twice on your computer. The Grands biscuits might be tricky to find at the stores now- they were out of them by the time I left my 500 West Albies store in Provo today- the day the sale started at 7 AM. There were plenty of fruit snacks, but I don't know how long those pallets will last at technically 5 cents a box.

Here's the last problem when they do these buy 10 get $10 off your next purchase sales- you can't really get rainchecks for these items when they're out. Yes, technically they still will give you a raincheck- but the catalinas for the sale items won't print once the sale is over- so if the items are out- just wait for another sale. There will always be another sale another day.

O.k. Just kidding one last thing- if they're out of an item at Albies- and you actually do want a raincheck for the item before the last day of the sale (Tue) they sometimes won't give it to you.

Here's why

They are doing this because 4 weeks ago they bought the food at a huge discount trying to gage how much you as a consumer will buy- by you requesting a raincheck it costs them much more money to buy it the second time. Also if they have a shipment of food coming in on Saturday that they got at that discount, a lot of people get rainchecks to get it later- and they don't sell that shipment that they purchased weeks ago- and it's sitting in the back of their store- they just lost a lot of money.

However! They want to make you happy- so if you really can't find a pretty easy way to get back to the store when another shipment comes in (on Saturday morning, or Monday morning for Albertsons)- just ask for a manager or the person above the person you're asking- and they should issue you a raincheck to make you happy. If they don't- smile and say well there's always another store and sale- and choose a different Albertsons to give your business to.

Whew! I hope you're not all wiped out after reading this, I think I'm going to go do some Cardio Dance Aerobics. Here's to sweatin off the fruit snacks!

8 comments:

  1. At my Albie's I only had to do one transaction. I know I will use the catalina's so that isn't an issue. It was very refreshing to just put all of my groceries up on the belt and swipe the card once!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to check your site before I go shopping on Mondays...We always go grocery shopping for FHE. HOWEVER, I was going to ask--is there a better day to go? Are sales better on Wednesdays? It seems you're always posting the way awesome stuff after I've just gone shopping! Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new sales start on Wednesday. We just go the first day of the sale. Monday's can be good days because stores usually get shipments in on Friday and/or Saturday nights. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there no edit button on comments? Just delete? Oh well- what I was trying to say- Julie hit it right on the nose. Wednesday is when the sales start- so that's when I usually go just to make sure I get everything I want. You could still go Monday- just check out the sale from the week before on pinching your pennies. And yes Julie I am who you say I am. How did you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a similar comment in the Albies thread about the "two cents for groceries" I just put it together. I am Ralphthefish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Brooke, I am so impressed with your coupon skills! You need to come shopping with me one day and show me your amazing-ness!! Your blog is great---however I am a little (ok a lot) overwhelmed at how to even start though. I think I've used a total of 9 coupons in my life. You are opening my eyes to a really great thing!!

    ReplyDelete